Sunday 16 October 2011

The Ancestors Geneameme

Geniaus has published a new Geneameme.


Things I have already done or found: bold face type
Things I would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things I haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

Here's my list:


Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents
Can name over 50 direct ancestors (246 at last count)
Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents
Have an ancestor who was married more than three times - I've found one ancestor (Robert Kerss) with 3 marriages, none with more.
Have an ancestor who was a bigamist - not that I'm aware of
Met all four of my grandparents - yes, but my grandfather died before my second birthday, so I don't remember him.
Met one or more of my great-grandparents - no, they all died before I was born.
Named a child after an ancestor
Bear an ancestor's given name/s
Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland - virtually all of them
Have an ancestor from Asia
Have an ancestor from Continental Europe
Have an ancestor from Africa - my grandmother was born in South Africa, of English parents, and came to England at 2 years old. Technically from Africa, but not African.
Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer
Have an ancestor who had large land holdings - depends on your definition of large, but some of my farming ancestors owned land.
Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi.  Not a direct ancestor, but a g-g-g-g-uncle was a Baptist minister who founded a chapel in Wales, on land gifted by his nephew
Have an ancestor who was a midwife - not to my knowledge.
Have an ancestor who was an author - not to my knowledge.
Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones - plenty of Jones ancestors, and one Smith
Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
Have an ancestor with a forename beginning with Z - not an ancestor but a distant cousin Zoe Louisa Hudson (1859-1930)
Have an ancestor born on 25th December - again a distant cousin, Dorothy Christine Denton was born Christmas Day 1899.
Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day - no, but William Henry Darby was born New Year's Eve.
Have blue blood in your family lines - not that I've found so far
Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth - no, both parents born in England like me.
Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth - Margaret Lamb was born in South Africa, Norman Darby was born in Chicago, USA.
Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century
Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier - several to seventeenth, and one line to sixteenth.
Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents
Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X
Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university - not university, but Margaret Lamb graduated from a Teacher Training College. No other direct ancestors before my dad.
Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence - not that I've found
Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime - not that I've found
Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (Tell us where) Lots on this blog.
Have published a family history online or in print (Details please) - only if this blog counts.
Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries - found some nineteenth century Welsh farmhouses, but only visited the outside.
Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family - not sure. I think some of the Welsh farms are still in family hands
Have a  family bible from the 19th Century - sort of. Margaret Lamb's step-father Henry Clark bought a very large two volume bible in 1877 (it's got a leather plate inside) and it's now in my possession. It includes a note of the births of Henry, his wife Martha, Margaret and her descendants.
Have a pre-19th century family bible

1 comment:

  1. 246 direct ancestors - that's fantastic.
    Thanks for taking part in the meme challenge - it has given me an opportunity to meet new genealogists and find out about their ancestors.

    ReplyDelete