Friday 9 September 2011

John Child and Susanna Shore


John Child and Susanna Shore are my 4 x great grandparents but I know very little about them.

John, according to the 1851 census, was born around 1790 in Birmingham. (At least I think it's him on the census - he was visiting his son in law and is listed as a visitor, but the profession fits and the age matches the 1841 census.)  There are two baptisms in the IGI which fit the bill, and I've yet to work out if either of them are my guy.

Susanna was born around 1784, in Warwickshire per the 1841 census. There are no baptisms in the IGI in the Birmingham area (Warwickshire or Staffordshire) for a Susanna Shore but there are several for Susanna Shaw. Again, I haven't figured out if one of these is mine.

What I do know is that John and Susanna married at St Mary's Church, Handsworth (Handsworth is a part of Birmingham) on 22 March 1812. The couple had four children together:

Isabella Child 1815-1857
Edwin Law Child 1817-1871
Henry Child 1820-??
Sophia Child 1824-??

Susanna died in 1841, following "a fall downstairs" at the age of 57. John outlived her by at least 10 years, as I've found him in the 1851 census, but thereafter he disappears, and I haven't yet found his death record.

Still plenty of work to do here...

No comments:

Post a Comment