Monday 30 May 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of John Owens 1817

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.


John Owens was the grandfather of David Powell, whose will I published a few weeks ago.



In the Name of God Amen. I John Owens of Dolelven in the Parish of Saint Harmon in the County of Radnor being sick and weak of Body but of perfect mind and Memory Thanks be given to God, do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in Manner and Form following.


First I give and bequeath unto my son John Owens the sum of Twenty Five Pounds to be paid to him by my Executors hereinafter named within the Compass of One whole year after my Decease;


Also I give and bequeath unto my Son David Owens the sum of Five Pounds to be paid to him by my Executors within the Compass of One whole year after my decease.


Also I give and bequeath unto my son Abraham Owens the sum of five pounds to be paid to him by my Executors within the Compass of One whole year after my Decease.


Also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elinor Rees the sum of five pounds to be paid to her by my Executors within the Compass of One whole year after my Decease.


Also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth Lewis the sum of five pounds to be paid to her by my Executors within the Compass of One whole year after my Decease.


Also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ann Owens the sum of Two hundred and seventy five pounds to be paid to her by my Executors within the Compass of three months after my Decease.


Also I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Ann Owens one fourth part of my household furniture or twenty pounds in lieu of them if she chooses and aslo her Sadle, bridle and whip.


Also I give and bequeath unto my beloved Wife Gwen Owens and my youngest son Richard Owens all the rest and residue of my Stock of Sheep, cattle and Chattles household goods implements of husbandry bills bonds and demands whatsoever to be divided between them share and share alike if either of them will require it at any time.


Also my Will is that if my Wife Gwen Owens will happen to marry Not then half of her share go between all my children to be equally divided between them share and share alike.


Also my will is that my wife Gwen Owens shall have the power in herself to hold all the Farms that I now hold for the time of the present lease if she will require it.


I do hereby constitute and appoint Gwen Owens my Wife and Richard Owens my youngest son to be joint executors fo this my last Will and Testament and do hereby utterly disallow and disannul all other former wills and testaments in Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty seventh day of March One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eleven.


Signed Sealed Published and declared by the Testator John Owens as his Last will and Testament in the presence of us the subscribers.


Richard Evans Rhayader and Evan Powell Park.


Probate 16 Sep 1817


Effects sworn under £800.

No comments:

Post a Comment