Monday 18 April 2011

Amanuensis Monday - the will of John Powell 1784

John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog, has a weekly theme each Monday called Amanuensis Monday to encourage the posting of transcriptions of documents to preserve and publish their contents.

John Powell was the father of John Powell whose will I published last week. He died in 1784, and his will is now in the collection at the National Library of Wales. Their collection of Welsh wills from pre 1859 can be viewed online.



In the Name of God Amen. I John Powell of the Parish of Nantmel in the County of Radnor calling unto mind the Mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed unto all Men once to die, do make and ordain this my last Will & Testament, touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this Life, in the following Manner & Form.


First, I give and bequeath to Mary, my dearly beloved Wife and unto John Powell my well-beloved Son, all my Household Goods, Debts, & moveable Effects, the same to be divided between them in equal Shares and Proportions; & I do also bind my Wife Mary Powell and Son John Powell by these Presents, jointly, and severally, to provide for & find my beloved Daughter Mary Powell with all Things necessary for a comfortable Subsistence during her natural life.


Also I give & bequeath unto my beloved Son in Law, Edward Arthur, the sum of ten shillings & sixpence, to be paid to him by my Executors.


Also I give & bequeath unto my beloved Daughter Gwenn, the Wife of the said Edward Arthur the sum of ten shillings & sixpence, to be paid by my Executors.


Also I constitute, make & ordain, my Wife Mary Powell & Son John Powell, my sole Executors of this my last Will & Testament ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal this twenty forth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty four.


Signed, sealed, published, pronounced & declared, by the said John Powell as his last Will and Testament in the Presence of us the Subscribers Evan Jones, Rees Jones.


X the mark of John Powell


Probate granted 6 December 1784

No comments:

Post a Comment